To provide individualized assessment, care planning and evaluation of services provided to the client and advocacy on behalf of the client as needed.
- To maintain a working relationship and to network with government and social agencies concerned with the mental health of urban Indigenous people.
- To provide mental health programmes and services to urban Indigenous people regardless of their legal definition.
- To promote culturally appropriate mental health services for clients.
- To provide Indigenous cultural sensitivity training to mainstream mental health service providers as a key component in addressing partnerships and a continuum of care for Indigenous clients.
Target Group / Eligibility Criteria
Self-identified Indigenous people sixteen years of age and older.
Community Outreach and Prevention
- Linking and networking with native and non-native agencies, organizations, services, to promote and provide services for clients who are experiencing mental health issues.
- Promoting culturally appropriate, social/recreational and programme activities that minimize the negative effects of mental health issues in the Indigenous individual, family and community.
- To provide culturally appropriate alternatives to existing mainstream programs.
Community Education / Awareness
- Research and develop culture-based mental health information material.
- Design, develop and deliver mental health educational presentations to individuals, families, community organizations and services.
- Design, develop and deliver cultural awareness training to mainstream service providers.
- Provide assistance to individuals, families or communities who request assistance or information concerning mental health services.
- Make initial contact with client (individual, family or community) or with significant concerned other.
- Assist in arranging for emergency assistance as may be required for clients to access.
- Mental Health Services internally or externally.
Research, network and outreach with Native and non-Native services that will assist clients in addressing mental health issues and any other referral services required i.e. Shelters, Housing, Legal Services, Jails, Medical Services Branch